I made this ginger cranberry granola and gave it away for the holidays. It made a beautiful gift in a mason jar with ribbon and a pretty label. Everyone loved the flavor and warmth of the ginger in the granola, so I decided that the recipe really needed to be up on the blog. This is a perfect winter granola and a nice hearty and healthy start 2019. This granola is flavored with fresh ginger, packed with sliced almonds and hazelnuts, and has bits of crystalized ginger and dried cranberries too! It’s crunchy, a perfect balance of sweet and salty, and is full of winter flavors. We all love this newest granola and know that you’re going to love it too!!!
Some Basic Rules About Granola:
You need to bake your granola as much as you possibly can without burning the oats or nuts to achieve ultimate granola crispiness. I have also found that adding just a couple of tablespoons of either maple or cane sugar makes granola extra crispy. Granola has limitless possibilities so play around with it and have fun! Swap our some your favorite flavors, nuts, and dried fruits. Homemade granola keeps well for a few weeks in an airtight jar – but trust me, it won’t last that long.
Making the Ginger Cranberry Granola:
This homemade granola is really easy to make. You literally combine all of your oats, nuts, salt and ground ginger in one bowl. You’ll add the fresh ginger and sugar to this mixture. Finally, you’ll combine melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla with the oats and nuts, give it a quick mix, and bake it. This granola needs to bake a bit longer than some of my other granola recipes just to dry out that fresh ginger. You want to be sure you end up with a nice crunchy granola in the end. Once the granola has cooled, you’ll toss in the crystalized ginger and dried cranberries, and it’s done! Store granola in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks for optimum crispiness.
I hope the you have a chance to make this newest Maple and Thyme recipe and that you love it as much as I do. Be sure to check out our other granola recipes too! Happy 2019!
Ginger Cranberry Granola
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup crystalized ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, hazelnuts, almonds, salt and ground ginger. In a small mixing bowl, combing sugar and freshly grated ginger. Rub together so that the sugar becomes infused with the ginger flavor. Add to the oat mixture and mix to combine. In a large glass measuring cup, combine coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Stir until well combined. Drizzle the liquid ingredients over the oat and nut mixture. Mix well. Spread combined granola onto prepared sheet pan. Bake for 28 minutes, mixing half way through baking time.
- Leave the granola to cool completely. Once cooled, mix in the chopped crystalized ginger and dried cranberries. Store cooled granola in an air tight container for 2-3 weeks.