Tomorrow is Isaac’s birthday. He has requested Funfetti cupcakes with chocolate frosting. I probably could have made my life simple, and could have gone to the grocery store and gotten a package of Funfetti cake mix. But that’s no fun, and he said he was willing to try my homemade version, so here we go…
For this cupcake, I adapted my Easy Vanilla Bean Cupcake recipe. I eliminated the vanilla beans because I only wanted to see the sprinkles inside the cupcake. Otherwise, the recipe and the process for making the cupcakes is the same. Once you are done mixing, just fold in 1/3 cup of multi-colored sprinkles and you have a delicious and homemade Funfetti cupcake! Enjoy!!!
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 (150g) cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (120g) cup cake flour
- 1/2 (65g) cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp buttermilk powder you can swap the whole milk for buttermilk if you don't have the powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Line a muffin pan or two with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of your stand up mixer, combine the softened butter and sugar. Beat on high speed for 6-8 minutes or until the mixture is light and fluffy. This is an important step - don't skip it. If your mixture is not light and fluffy, keep mixing until it is.
- While the butter and sugar are mixing, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk powder, and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Once the butter and sugar are light and fluffy, stop your mixer and add the vanilla extract, and both eggs. Mix to combine.
- Stop the mixer and add 1/2 of the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture. Stir until just barely combined. Stop the mixture and add the sour cream. Combine. Stop the mixer and add the second 1/2 of the flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Stop the mixer, add the milk, and mix until just combined. Remove from the mixer and gently fold by hand until combined.
- Fill each muffin liner 2/3 of the way with batter (I like to use a large cookie scoop for this part).
- Bake cupcakes for 15-17 minutes or until just barely golden brown around the edges.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool completely before topping with your favorite buttercream frosting.
This batch was topped with a chocolate butter cream (per Isaac’s request), but any of your favorite butter creams would be an amazing compliment to these cupcakes!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 tbsp milk or cream
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of your standing mixer, combine the softened butter and powdered sugar. Turn on to low, and mix until the butter and sugar begin to combine. Turn off the mixer.
- Add in the cocoa powder, pinch of salt, vanilla, and 2 tbsp of milk. Turn the mixer to low speed and mix until well combined.
- Add additional milk as needed and and continue mixing the buttercream until you have reached your desired consistency.
- Turn the mixer to medium-high and whip the buttercream until it is smooth and fluffy.