Pumpkin bread is a staple in our kitchen! It makes its way to play dates, Thanksgiving breakfast, and it is a daily addition to the boys’ lunch boxes. The bread is sweet, yet not too sweet…moist, and full of rich pumpkin flavor and spice. The ingredients are easy to mix together and the recipe makes a ton of pumpkin bread.
I like to bake this recipe in five mini (2 cup) loaf pans. The batter can also be scooped into muffin pans and baked that way. For this post, I made four mini loaves (2 cup pans) and one pan of mini muffins. I love these mini loaf pans from Nordic Ware.
This recipe has been adapted from the Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread recipe on allrecipes. I’ve cut the sugar from 3 cups down to 2 cups, and added a cinnamon and sugar sprinkle to the top of the loaves or muffins for an added sweet crunch. I have also simplified mixing it up. Measure all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs in a separate bowl, and combine the water, oil and pumpkin in a third bowl. Add all of the liquid ingredients to the mixture of dry ingredients, stir about 50 times, and it’s ready to bake.
The final step before baking is to sprinkle the loaves of bread or muffins with a cinnamon and sugar mixture. This adds a touch of sweetness and a little bit of crunch to the final product. I used a course, granulated sugar for this batch but these would also be delicious with a sprinkle of maple sugar.
After the mini loaves have finished baking, allow them cool completely and then wrap each loaf individually with plastic wrap Place the wrapped loaves into a ziplock bag in the freezer. I like to pull the loaves out as needed for a quick school morning breakfast or for the lunch boxes.
If you like the idea of the mini muffins, scoop the batter into prepared pans and bake for 15-17 minutes at 350°. My kids love the mini muffins and they are especially cute in this pan that I got from Nordic Ware. We find it easiest to use a large cookie scoop for filling the mini muffin pans and the kids love this job. Enjoy!
Mini Pumpkin Bread Loaves
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp ginger
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar maple sugar is also yummy here
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Arrange five, 2-cup loaf pans on a half sheet tray. Lightly grease each pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine pumpkin puree, oil, and water. In a separate bowl, crack the four eggs and gently whisk together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture. Mix about 50 times until the ingredients are well combined.
- Scoop or pour into prepared pans.
- Mix together the cinnamon sugar topping. Combine 1/8 cup of sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the batter.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and firm in the center of each loaf.
- Enjoy a loaf right away and then wrap the extra cooled loaves in plastic wrap. Store in the freezer up to three months and remove the loaves as you need them.