An easy to make classic chocolate chip cookie recipe made in one bowl! These cookies have chewy middles, crispy, buttery edges and are filled with tons of semi sweet chocolate chips. This is the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe for your next after school snack or summer BBQ dessert. Trust me, you have found the exact chocolate chip cookie recipe you are looking for in your life! It all starts off with melted butter. No mixer required and you can make this cookie dough in one bowl.
Warning🙂 this dough does require time in the refrigerator before baking. if you want doughy, chewy cookies, you won't be able to bake these right away. If you do choose to bake the dough without chilling, your cookies may be flatter than you would like.
How to Make the Cookie Dough
Butter and Sugar:
You’ll get started by placing the butter into your favorite glass mixing bowl and melt for 30-45 seconds in the microwave. You want the butter to be mostly melted with just a few lumps remaining. If you happened to over melt the butter, don’t worry. Allow it to cool for 5-7 minutes before moving on to the next step. Next, you’ll add the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix by hand until well combined. Next, add in room temperature eggs and vanilla, mix until well combined.
I literally add the flour, baking soda and salt right to the butter and egg combination and mix well. I've had not issues with this and there are less dishes to wash which is a win in my book 🙂 Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until well combined. Gently fold in your chocolate chips.
Time to Chill that Cookie Dough
This dough needs to chill for at least 1 hour but I recommend 2-3 hours of chill time before scooping with your favorite cookie scoop. I like to scoop the dough all at once, arrange on a quarter sheet pan and move the dough to the freezer. You can then bake dough directly from the freezer, or once the dough is frozen solid, you can transfer it to a storage container marked with the name of recipe, date and baking temperature and time for use at a later date. I love having a supply of cookie dough ready to bake in my freezer at all times.
Baking the Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Bake the cookies at 375° for 9-11 minutes, until the edges are just golden brown and the middles are still slightly soft. I start watching cookies carefully at 9 minutes and check every 30 seconds until I am happy with the color on the edges and across the middles.
Top Tips and Tricks
FREEZING THE DOUGH
It's really nice to have some cookie dough stored in the freezer. If you scoop your cookie dough right away, you can place it on a parchment lined quarter sheet pan and move it to the freezer. Once the dough is completely frozen, move the balls to a large, freezer safe ziplock bag. Mark the bag with the recipe name, date you made the dough and the baking temperature and time. Pull this bag from the freezer and bake fresh cookies anytime you are in the mood for them.
BAKING FROZEN COOKIE DOUGH
When baking frozen cookie dough, you will need to add an additional 1-2 minutes to the baking time. When you are ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350° and line a half sheet pan with parchment paper. Place the frozen balls of dough onto your pan about 2-3 inches apart.
Bake frozen cookie dough for 10-12 minutes. I like to start checking cookies at the minimum time suggested. If they are not ready, I add a minute and check again. Follow this process until you have those golden brown edges and lightly browned middles.
USE A COOKIE DOUGH SCOOP
This will literally be one of your best kitchen investments. I use a cookie dough scoopwhen I'm making cookies, but I also use it to add batter to a Madeleine pan, to scoop pancake batter in to the hot frying pan and even for making meatballs. There are just so many uses. I find this scoop from Solula to be the best cookie dough scoop that I have found.
Other delicious cookie recipes from Maple and Thyme
- Macadamia Nut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Blood Orange Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Brown Butter Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- mixing bowl
- cookie scoop
- quarter sheet pan
- half sheet pan
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, slightly melted and then cooled I melt for 30 seconds in microwave, some lumps will remain
- ¾ cup (150g) packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ cups (290g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Place butter into your favorite glass mixing bowl and melt for 30-45 seconds in the microwave. You want the butter to be mostly melted with just a few lumps remaining.
- Next, you'll add the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix by hand until well combined.
- Add the two eggs and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda and salt to the butter and eggs. Mix until well combined. Gently fold in your chocolate chips.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for at least one hour. Use your cookie scoop to make balls of cookie dough. Arrange the dough on a quarter sheet pan and return to the refrigerator or transfer to the freezer for at least one hour. After an hour, move on to baking your cookies or transfer the cookie dough to a freezer bag for future baking.