An easy to make classic chocolate chip cookie recipe made in one bowl! These cookies have chewy middles, crispy, buttery edges and are filled with tons of semi sweet chocolate chips. This is the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe for your next after school snack or summer BBQ dessert. Trust me, you have found the exact chocolate chip cookie recipe you are looking for in your life! It all starts off with melted butter. No mixer required and you can make this cookie dough in one bowl.
Warning🙂 this dough does require time in the refrigerator before baking. if you want doughy, chewy cookies, you won’t be able to bake these right away. If you do choose to bake the dough without chilling, your cookies may be flatter than you would like.
How to Make the Classic Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Butter and Sugar:
You’ll get started by placing the butter into your favorite glass mixing bowl and melt for 30-45 seconds in the microwave. You want the butter to be mostly melted with just a few lumps remaining. If you happened to over melt the butter, don’t worry. Allow it to cool for 5-7 minutes before moving on to the next step. Next, you’ll add the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix by hand until well combined. Next, add in room temperature eggs and vanilla, mix until well combined.
I literally add the flour, baking soda and salt right to the butter and egg combination and mix well. I’ve had not issues with this and there are less dishes to wash which is a win in my book 🙂 Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until well combined. Gently fold in your chocolate chips.
Time to Chill that Classic Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
This dough needs to chill for at least 1 hour but I recommend 2-3 hours of chill time before scooping with your favorite cookie scoop. I like to scoop the dough all at once, arrange on a quarter sheet pan and move the dough to the freezer. You can then bake dough directly from the freezer, or once the dough is frozen solid, you can transfer it to a storage container marked with the name of recipe, date and baking temperature and time for use at a later date. I love having a supply of cookie dough ready to bake in my freezer at all times.
Baking Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Bake the cookies at 375° for 9-11 minutes, until the edges are just golden brown and the middles are still slightly soft. I start watching cookies carefully at 9 minutes and check every 30 seconds until I am happy with the color on the edges and across the middles.
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- mixing bowl
- cookie scoop
- quarter sheet pan
- half sheet pan
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, slightly melted and then cooled I melt for 30 seconds in microwave, some lumps will remain
- 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups (290g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Place butter into your favorite glass mixing bowl and melt for 30-45 seconds in the microwave. You want the butter to be mostly melted with just a few lumps remaining.
- Next, you'll add the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix by hand until well combined.
- Add the two eggs and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda and salt to the butter and eggs. Mix until well combined. Gently fold in your chocolate chips.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for at least one hour. Use your cookie scoop to make balls of cookie dough. Arrange the dough on a quarter sheet pan and return to the refrigerator or transfer to the freezer for at least one hour. After an hour, move on to baking your cookies or transfer the cookie dough to a freezer bag for future baking.
Love to Bake Cookies? Check out these other favorite cookie recipes from Maple and Thyme!
Recipe originally published on 1/17/2017 and revised and updated on 7/8/2020.