If you've spent any time on Maui or on the road to Hana, you have inevitably had a mini loaf of Maui's famous banana bread. Digging into a moist loaf of banana bread while staring at the beautiful Pacific Ocean is truly one of my favorite parts of a Maui vacation. For those of us who can't swing by Aunt Sandy's banana bread stand, we've created our own version of the famous Maui banana bread recipe so that we can all enjoy a taste of our favorite place at home.
This delicious banana bread recipe is made with overripe bananas, canola oil and sour cream - this dynamic trio creates a quick bread that has so much moisture in the baked loaves. The mini loaves are almost cake like in texture and you have the option of adding in mini chocolate chips, coconut flakes or chopped macadamia nuts, This recipe requires almost no prep time so you can ave these mini maui banana bread loaves into the oven in no time at all! If you are are looking for another great recipe, be sure to check out our Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Banana Bread which is made with gluten free oats.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- make it your own - add crunchy macadamia nuts, mini chocolate chips or chewy coconut flakes
- so easy to make - simple ingredients that you already have in the house
- a great way to use up those overripe bananas sitting on your counter
- one of our favorite things for breakfast, in the lunch box or for an after school snack
- these mini loaves will definitely remind you of the road to Hana banana bread that you will find on Maui
- ripe bananas - the riper the better!
- greek yogurt - you can also substitute sour cream if you don't have greek yogurt
🍋 Optional Mix-Ins
- mini chocolate chips
- salted macadamia nuts
- toasted coconut flakes
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread - mix in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips
Coconut Banana Bread - toast unsweetened coconut flakes in a single layer
Be sure to see the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and detailed instructions.
In a large bowl, combine your dry ingredients.
In a large measuring cup, combine your liquid ingredients.
Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until the batter just comes together. Stir in any desired mix-ins.
Pour batter into prepared mini loaf pans. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Lower the temperature to 350° and bake for an additional 40 minutes.
Remove the loaves from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack before removing from the baking pans.
Enjoy a slice of Maui banana bread with your favorite mug of coffee.
Hint: This batter tends to spread over the top of the mini loaf pans. When you are spraying the pans, be sure to hit the top edges with your cooking spray.
🤓 Expert Tips
Freeze Some of the Banana Bread - because this recipe makes 4 mini loaves of banana bread, I like to freeze half of the banana bread. These loaves keep well when stored in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Simply pull a loaf out and allow it to thaw on the counter top and you'll have a fresh loaf of the best banana bread anytime that you are craving banana bread.
Freeze the Ripe Bananas - sometimes you have bananas that are ready to bake with but you don't have time to bake. Toss the ripe bananas into a ziplock bag and move them to the freezer. When you hare ready to bake, move the bananas to the counter and allow them to thaw to room temperature. Proceed with your banana bread recipe.
📦 How to Store Banana Bread
Store baked banana bread loaves at room temperature in an airtight container. To freeze banana bread, wrap each loaf individually in plastic wrap. Move the wrapped loaves to a large ziplock bag and then store in the freezer for 2-3 months.
⭐️ Recipe FAQs About
Mini loaf pans hold 1.5 - 2 cups of batter.
Bake time for mini loaf pans will be less that the bake time for one large loaf pan. With any recipe in a mini loaf pan, I begin checking the loaves at 30 minutes. Add time as needed until your loaves are baked through. To test for doneness, the loaves should have an even color across the top and no evidence of unbaked batter in the center crack of the loaf. A toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf should come out clean when you test the loaf.
Absolutely! I like to wrap the cool loaves individually with plastic wrap and then store the wrapped loaves all in a large freezer bag or airtight container. Loaves are good in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Love this recipe? We'd love to hear about it! Leave us a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating at the top of the recipe card! We read, respond to and appreciate all of your comments so don't forget to leave a comment below. We love hearing feedback from our readers!
The Best Maui Banana Bread Recipe
For the Banana Bread:
- 1½ cups (337g) sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2½ cups (325g) flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Optional Add Ins:
- 1 ½ cups mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup of chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 cup of toasted coconut flakes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large measuring cup, combine the sour cream, canola oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Mash bananas in a small bowl using a fork - measure out two cups of mashed banana.
- Add the banana mixture and liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Gently fold in any desired mix-ins.
- Arrange your mini loaf pans on a parchment lined quarter sheet pan. Generously spray your loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Pour your batter into the 4 mini loaf pans.
- Bake banana bread at 425° for 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 375° and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes.
- Begin check the loaves at 40 minutes. If the tops are getting too dark, cover them with a sheet of parchment paper for the last 5-10 minutes of baking.
- Move the slightly cooled loaf pans to a wire rack to cool. Allow banana bread to cool completely before removing from the pans.