This Blood Orange Bourbon Smash will become one of your go-to winter cocktails. It's perfect for dinner parties and impromptu playdates turned into company for dinner. Everyone loves citrus, and loves the rich red color of blood oranges. You can pull this cocktail together in under five minutes with minimal work and just a few ingredients. This Blood Orange Bourbon Smash is sweetened with maple syrup, creating a cocktail that is flavorful, not overly sweet, and highlights the flavors of refreshing winter citrus.
What You'll Like About This Cocktail:
- quick and easy to make but looks and tastes like you put in a lot of effort
- naturally and minimally sweetened - sweet enough but definitely not too sweet
- can easily be prepared ahead of time - juice the oranges, mix the citrus juice with the maple syrup and bourbon - store in the refrigerator - pour over ice and top with ginger beer when you are ready to serve
- features gorgeous winter citrus flavors
- that color!!! ❤️
Cranberry Ice Cubes:
Adding fruit to your ice cubes is a fantastic way to make any drink feel extra special. Even if it's simply a glass of seltzer, the pop of color that comes from a cranberry or a piece of citrus frozen into your ice cubes definitely adds some extra fun. To make cranberry ice cubes, I simply filled a square ice-cube tray and dropped a couple of fresh cranberries into each square. Frozen cranberries, or any other fresh berry would work here too. Have fun with your ice cubes!
Making the Cocktails:
With about five minutes of prep work, you'll have refreshing and sparkly cocktails to enjoy for your next snowy evening in or dinner with friends. Simply juice the oranges, run the juice through a strainer and combine the juice with your maple syrup and bourbon. Shake and pour over ice. Top with your favorite ginger beer and enjoy!!!
Blood Orange Bourbon Smash
- ½ cup ice cubes
- 4 ounces blood orange juice, freshly squeezed and strained can also use Cara Cara or navel oranges if you can't find blood oranges
- 2 ounces maple syrup
- 4 ounces bourbon
- 2-3 ounces ginger beer
- Combine blood orange juice, maple syrup and bourbon in a glass container or cocktail shaker. Mix or shake vigorously to combine.
- Pour over ice into cocktail glasses. Top off with ginger beer. Garnish with thinly sliced blood oranges and enjoy!
Kitchen Tools That I Used to Make This Recipe:
This post contains affiliate links to products that I use for baking and cooking. If you click on these links, and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers. I only link to products that I use, love, and think you may like as well.