You are going to absolutely love these Brown Butter Milk Chocolate Chip Blondies. Think subtle butterscotch flavor, chewy middles, a shiny, crackly top and perfectly crisp edges. Oh, and they have just the right number of milk chocolate chips in each bite. These Brown Butter Milk Chocolate Blondies are to die for! You can eat these blondies on their own while you catch up on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel by the fire, or you can turn them into a full blown dessert and serve warm blondies with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and maybe a little bit of homemade chocolate sauce.
Kids love these blondies. Grown-ups love these blondies. This recipe can be whipped up last minute when you need a quick and easy dessert for dinner with friends or a play date. This recipe is made using one sauce pan, one mixing bowl and one spatula. I’m not sure about you, but I always appreciate a dessert that doesn’t make too many dirty dishes.
I like to bake this recipe in a 9 inch square baking pan. This guarantees even baking across the pan and produces blondies that are a bit thinner, which I really like. By all means, you can double the batch and bake in a 9 x 13 inch pan or an 8 inch pan also works perfectly fine. You’ll just need to adjust baking times. (see recipe notes)
What You’ll Love About This Recipe:
- quick and easy – a great dessert when you are strapped for time or have a last minute need for dessert
- brown butter – insanely delicious and gives the blondies a lovely butterscotch flavor
- brown butter – you don’t have to take ingredients out and wait for them to warm up before baking
- one bowl, one pan, one spatula
- blondies travel well – this is a great recipe to take to a dinner party, play date or to mail to a friend
I have always looked at recipes that have brown butter in them and felt like it was probably time consuming or didn’t really make a huge difference in a recipe. Boy was I wrong. One day while I was making blondies, I left the butter to warm for too long, turning it into brown butter. The blondies were to die for – I am now officially convinced and have become a huge fan of the brown butter. It’s super easy to make, the hardest part honestly is keeping a close eye on the butter so that it ends up brown and not burnt.
How to Make Brown Butter:
- Place butter in a small sauce pan and cook over medium heat until the butter becomes bubbly, fragrant and nutty smelling – swirl and stir as needed
- Watch closely for small brown bits to begin forming on the bottom of the pan – this will happen around 5 minutes
- As soon as you begin to see brown bits in the butter, remove the butter from the heat
- Transfer butter to your mixing bowl and allow to cool for a few minutes before proceeding with your recipe
- If you leave the butter in the pan it will continue to brown and could even become burnt
Making Brown Butter Milk Chocolate Chip Blondies:
Once you have browned the butter and it has cooled for 2-3 minutes, you’ll add in your brown sugar and mix until well combined. The sugar will become slightly melted. You’ll add in the egg and vanilla, and mix until well combined. Next, you’ll add in the flour and salt before folding in the milk chocolate chips. You’ll spread the batter in to a 9 x 9 inch baking pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Press the dough down with the back of a spatula or with your fingers. Bake at 350° for 17-18 minutes. Remove blondies from the oven and allow to cool in the pan until the blondies are completely firm. Once the blondies have cooled, lift the parchment and the blondies from the pan, move to a cutting board and cut into 16 squares.
Blondies can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Love blondies? Check out our recipe for Peanut Butter Milk Chocolate Blondies too!
Brown Butter Milk Chocolate Chip Blondies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, browned and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
For the Brown Butter
- Place butter in a small sauce pan and cook over medium heat until the butter becomes bubbly, fragrant and nutty smelling - swirl and stir as neededWatch closely for small brown bits to begin forming on the bottom of the pan - this will happen around 5 minutesAs soon as you begin to see brown bits in the butter, remove the butter from the heatTransfer butter to your mixing bowl and allow to cool for a few minutes before proceeding with the recipe
For the Blondies
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper making sure that the paper comes up over the edges of the pan.
- To your brown butter, add the light brown sugar and mix until well combined. Add egg and vanilla and mix well. Gently fold in the salt and flour. Add the chocolate chips and mix until well distributed.
- Using a spatula or your hand, spread the batter evenly into your prepared pan.
- Bake for 17-18 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove blondies from oven and allow to cool in the baking pan for at least 30 minutes. Use the edges of the parchment to pick up and move the blondies to a cooling rack. Cool for an additional 30-45 minutes before cutting into squares.Blondies can be stored in a airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
KITCHEN TOOLS THAT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
This post contains affiliate links to products that I use for baking and cooking. If you click on these links, and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers. I only link to products that I use, love, and think you may like as well.