I’m not sure about you, but during the work week, the slow cooker is my best friend. I love walking into the house at the end of a long day and smelling dinner ready to go. This Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Turkey can be prepared in about 15 minutes. You can make it in the morning and leave it to cook while you’re away at work. You can even prep the chili at night, store it in the refrigerator, and move it to the slow cooker in the morning before you leave the house. When you get home, you quickly pull together some garnishes, maybe make up a quick batch of cornbread, and dinner is served.
This Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Turkey Chili is full of hearty turkey and beans, sweet potatoes, and flavored with chipotle peppers, maple syrup and your traditional chili seasonings. This makes a lot of chili – you can definitely feed a crowd with this recipe or make a batch on Sunday for the football game and enjoy the leftovers during the week.
Prepping the Sweet Potato Turkey Chili:
You’ll start by browning your turkey in a frying pan until it is cooked through. While the turkey is cooking, you’ll dice the onion, sweet potato, and chipotle pepper in adobo. You’ll rinse the beans and measure the spices. Once the turkey is cooked, you’ll move it to your slow cooker. Add the vegetables, beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and spices to the turkey and mix to combine. At this point, you can either store the chili in the refrigerator until the morning, or you can go ahead and begin cooking in your slow cooker.
Cooking the Chili:
You’ll slow cook your chili on low for 6-8 hours. Once the chili has finished cooking, garnish with your favorite chili toppings and enjoy. Some of my favorite chili toppings are:
- shredded cheddar cheese
- diced avocado
- tortilla chips
- green onions
- sour cream
I hope you love this new recipe for Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Turkey Chili. I’d love to hear your feedback so please comment here on the blog or be sure to tag your Instagram photos #mapleandthyme. We love to see what you are cooking!
Other delicious dinner ideas
- Shepherd’s Pie with Cauliflower Mash (Whole30 and Paleo)
- Gnocchi with Mushroom Ragu and Peas
- Spinach and Bacon Quiche
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos with Winter Slaw
Slow Cooker Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey can substitute veggie crumble for turkey
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) tomato puree
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder I usually start with 1 tablespoon and add more as needed
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Papa Joe's Salt or combination of salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. Brown turkey for about 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Move cooked turkey to your slow cooker. Add sweet potato, onion, chopped chili pepper, garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato puree, beans, maple syrup, cocoa powder, chili pepper, cumin, and Papa Joe's Salt. Mix to combine.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Taste and season with additional chili powder and Papa Joe's Salt. Garnish bowls of chili with cheese, sour cream, green onions, cilantro and/or avocado.
KITCHEN TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS THAT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
This post contains affiliate links to products that I use for baking and cooking. If you click on these links, and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers, not by you. I only link to products that I use, love, and think you may love as well.