Lemon chocolate chip cookies are made with all of the dark chocolate and tons of fresh lemon zest and lemon juice. This indulgent one bowl chocolate chip cookies recipe is truly next level!
- fresh lemon - you will use both the zest and the juice for this cookie recipe
- unsalted butter, melted and cooled - for those crispy edges and perfectly chewy middles
- brown sugar - adds moisture and helps create that perfect chewy texture that we all love
- granulated sugar - helps to create those perfectly crisp edges
- eggs - supports the overall structure and texture of the cookie
- vanilla extract - adds depth and flavor to the cookies
- lemon extract - add just a little more overall lemon flavor to the cookies
- baking soda and salt - gives the cookies some height and balanced flavor
- all-purpose flour - use plain, all-purpose flour for this recipe
- dark chocolate - creates a luxurious, decadent combination with the fresh lemon
Be sure to see the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and detailed instructions.
Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies - made with fresh orange zest and orange juice
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies - our traditional recipe for one bowl chocolate chip cookies
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Zest the lemon directly into the bowl. Mix until well combined.
Fold chocolate chips into batter and mix well. Chill dough in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes.
Bake chilled cookie dough for 9-11 minutes at 375° on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Scoop the cookie dough onto a quarter sheet pan and chill the scoops for an additional hour.
Hint: After 30-45 minutes of chill time, scoop your cookie dough and arrange it on a quarter sheet pan. Move the sheet pan to the refrigerator or even the freezer for an hour before baking.
Store baked cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
💡 Top Tips and Tricks
USE A COOKIE DOUGH SCOOP
This will literally be one of your best kitchen investments. I use a cookie dough scoop when I'm making cookies, but I also use it to add batter to a Madeleine pan, to scoop pancake batter in to the hot frying pan and even for making meatballs. There are just so many uses.
🙋🏽♀️ Frequently Asked Questions
There are a few factors that go into moist and chewy cookies.
Cookies come out moist and chewy when you bake with melted butter, use brown sugar and allow the dough to chill for a while.
You have to be sure to measure your flour using a kitchen scale. Too much flour will turn your cookies into puffy little cakes.
It is also very important not to over bake your cookies as they will become dry. I always remove cookies from the oven just as the middles just begin to brown.
It's really nice to have some cookie dough stored in the freezer. You can scoop your cookie dough right away and place it on a parchment lined quarter sheet pan in the freezer. Once the dough is completely frozen, move the balls to a large, freezer safe ziplock bag. Mark the bag with the recipe name, date you made the dough and the baking temperature and time. Pull this bag from the freezer and bake fresh cookies anytime you are in the mood for them.
No!! When baking frozen cookie dough, you will just need to add an additional 1-2 minutes to the baking time. When you are ready to bake frozen cookie dough, preheat your oven and line a half sheet pan with parchment paper. Place the frozen balls of dough onto your pan about 2-3 inches apart.
Bake frozen cookie dough for 10-12 minutes. I like to start checking cookies at the minimum time suggested. If they are not ready, I add a minute and check again. Follow this process until you have those golden brown edges and lightly browned middles.
🍪 More Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes
Love this recipe? We'd love to hear about it! Leave us a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below! We read, respond to and appreciate all of your comments so don't forget to leave a comment below. We love hearing feedback from our readers!
Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Lemon Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour (280g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Place butter into your favorite glass mixing bowl and melt for 30-45 seconds in the microwave. You want the butter to be mostly melted with just a few lumps remaining.
- Next, add the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix by hand until well combined.
- Add the two eggs, lemon juice, vanilla and lemon extract. Mix well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, lemon zest and salt to the butter and eggs. Mix until well combined.
- Gently fold in your chocolate chips.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- After an hour, move on to baking your cookies or transfer the cookie dough to a freezer bag for future baking.
- Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes or until the edges are just golden brown and the middles look just a little underdone.