This Strawberry Quinoa Salad is full of fresh spring flavor. Mint, basil, and thyme from the garden, create layers of crisp, fresh flavor. Protein packed quinoa is paired with baby spinach, the ripest strawberries, crunchy sunflower seeds, and buttery avocado. This dish could be either a main course, or a lovely side for your next outdoor dinner. This salad is the perfect vegan dish, but would also be great with some feta cheese added in. It’s quick and easy to make too!
Strawberry Quinoa Salad packs well for picnics or lunches (although I would pack the avocado on the side), and can also be prepped ahead of time and tossed together right before serving.
Cook the Quinoa:
You need quinoa that is cold for this salad. You’ll want to make the quinoa ahead of time and allow it to cool. You could also start with quinoa that is leftover from a previous lunch or dinner. Quinoa cooks for about 15 minutes. Follow the directions on your package and prepare enough to have 2 cups of cooked quinoa.
Make the Vinaigrette:
While the quinoa is cooking and cooling, prepare the vinaigrette. I like to double every batch of vinaigrette. I use 1/2 of the batch for the current recipe that I am making, and then I have homemade dressing for lunch salads for the week. This dressing is a cinch to make. You’ll combine all of the ingredients in a recycled jelly or mason jar, close, shake…done!
Assembling the Strawberry Quinoa Salad with Maple and Thyme Vinaigrette:
In a large mixing bowl you will combine the cooled quinoa with the spinach, strawberries, avocado, fresh herbs, and sunflower seeds. You’ll drizzle with the vinaigrette, toss it all together, and it’s ready to go!
If you are preparing this salad ahead of time, I would suggest prepping the quinoa, strawberries, and vinaigrette, and then storing these in separate containers. Just before serving, you’ll freshly chop the herbs and avocado, combine everything in a large bowl, drizzle with the vinaigrette, and it’s ready to serve.
This is the perfect summer salad. Yummy, easy to make, and super healthy! Happy summer salad making! – Amanda
Strawberry Quinoa Salad with Maple and Thyme Vinaigrette
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (about 2/3 cup dry)
- 1 cup strawberries, trimmed and quartered
- 1 large avocado, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds roasted and salted
- 1/4 cup fresh mint and basil, chopped
Maple and Thyme Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, from about 1/2 orange
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice from about 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 pinch Papa Joe's Salt or combination of salt and pepper
Maple and Thyme Vinaigrette
- In a small bowl or jar, combine the olive oil, orange and lemon juices, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and chopped thyme leaves. Mix or shake to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Mix gently to combine.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad and toss to combine and serve immediately. You can also prepare the salad and serve the dressing alongside the salad in a small pitcher.
KITCHEN TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS THAT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
This post contains affiliate links to products that I use for baking and cooking. If you click on these links, and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers, not by you. I only link to products that I use, love, and think you may love as well. Any money earned will be used to keep Maple and Thyme running (I go through a lot of chocolate chips:), and I thank you for your support.