This chicken salad has literally saved my lunch this past month! We decided to join a group at my school for a Whole30 Challenge. I knew right away that I would need to be incredibly prepared if I wanted to be successful. With diced apples, raisins, sliced almonds and tons of fresh thyme, this salad is the perfect lunch. It’s filling, has a ton of flavor and is honestly super quick and easy to make. Not sure about you, but that checks off all of the boxes for me when I am planning lunches for the week.
Making dishes like this Whole30 Chicken Salad guarantees that I always have something to snack on when hunger strikes. Having the right snacks and meals ready to go is nonnegotiable when it comes to healthy eating.
Making Whole30 Chicken Salad
You’re going to love how quickly this salad comes together. You’ll start by lightly toasting your sliced almonds. While they toast and cool, you’ll prepare the rest of the ingredients. You’re going to start with about 3 cups of cooked chicken. I’m sort of lazy, and always trying to do a million things, so I just buy a rotisserie chicken. If you’re smarter, or less busy than me, by all means cook your own chicken. Either way, you need 3 cups of cooked chicken in a medium mixing bowl.
Next you will dice half of an apple and add it to the chicken. You’ll toss the chicken and apples with the cooled almonds, raisins and thyme. In a small mixing bowl you’ll combine the avocado mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and Papa Joe’s Salt. Whisk together and pour it over the chicken. You’ll toss the salad gently to be sure that everything is coated with the dressing and you’re done. I love this salad on a bed of fresh greens with a few berries, a bit of avocado and the balsamic dressing from Primal Kitchen.
I hope that you have a chance to check out this newest Maple and Thyme recipe. Even if you aren’t following Whole30, I know you will still love this chicken salad. In fact, it would be insanely delicious on a slice of whole grain bread with a side of chips! Can you tell I’m craving carbs? ?
Whole30 Chicken Salad
For the Chicken Salad
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup apple, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup avocado mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Papa Joe's Salt or combination of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spread almonds into a single layer on a small sheet pan. Toast 2-3 minutes until just lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine chicken, almonds, raisins, apple and thyme. Toss gently to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and Papa Joe's Salt. Whisk to combine.
- Pour dressing over the chicken salad. Toss gently to coat the entire salad with the dressing. Serve over fresh greens with your favorite Whole30 salad dressing. Garnish with additional fresh thyme.Chicken salad can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
KITCHEN TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS THAT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
This post contains affiliate links to products that I use for baking and cooking. If you click on these links, and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers. I only link to products that I use, love, and think you may like as well.