Chocolate Chip Heart Shaped Cookies are the perfect treat anytime that you want to show a little extra love with your baked goods. This is the perfect Valentine's Day cookie but would also make a sweet addition to a care package or would be the perfect treat to add to your kiddo's lunchbox anytime!
These shaped chocolate chip cookies are made in one bowl and baked in a heart shaped mold for some extra fun. The recipe has a bit of added corn starch making the cookies extra soft and fluffy and they hold their shape perfectly. You can decorate your chocolate chip heart cookies with seasonal M&Ms, icing, sprinkles or leave them as they are. If you're a chocolate chip lover like me, be sure to try our Chocolate Chip Butterscotch Cookies or our Cadbury Chocolate Chip Cookies.
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe
Our heart shaped chocolate chip cookies are made with basic ingredients that you likely have in your pantry. The recipe is made with melted butter and the cookies can be baked right away - no waiting for the dough to chill!
Baking the cookies in the heart shaped mold give the cookies a sweet heart shape, perfect for Valentine's Day. We've made sure that the recipe produces a chewy cookie with crisp edges and plenty of chocolate chips. Adding the Valentine's Day decorations makes these cookies an extra special treat to celebrate the ones that you love.
- corn starch - the teaspoon of corn starch in the recipe creates a cookie that is tender and soft
- m&ms - I used the Valentine's Day colors for some extra love on the cookies
- sprinkles - use your favorite sprinkles for a little bit of added sparkle on your heart shaped chocolate chip cookies
You'll want to have a heart shaped mold for making this recipe. I used these heart shaped silicon baking molds to get those perfectly heart shaped chocolate chip cookies.
Be sure to see the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and detailed recipe instructions.
In a large mixing bowl, melt the butter in the microwave for about one minute. It should be a mix of some liquid and some lumps remaining.
Whisk the brown and granulated sugar into the melted butter. Mix until light and fluffy.
Whisk the eggs and vanilla into the butter and sugar.
Gently fold in the flour, baking soda, salt and corn starch.
Fold in 1 ½ cups of chocolate chips.
Use a 1 tablespoon cookie dough scoop to add a scoop of cookie dough to each heart shape in the mold. Sprinkle cookie dough with a few extra chocolate chips.
Bake cookies at 350° for 12-13 minutes. You want the cookies to be golden brown on the edges. Add M&Ms and sprinkles right after you remove the cookies from the oven.
Allow the cookies to cool completely in the mold before popping them out. Enjoy cookies with a warm mug of coffee or a tall glass of milk.
Hint: No need to grease you heart shaped silicone mold. Once the cookies have cooled, they will easily pop out of the molds.
🤓 Expert Tips
Add Extra Chocolate Chips on the Top: Adding a few chocolate chips to each scoop of cookie dough before baking gives the M&Ms and sprinkles something to stick to when you remove the cookies from the oven.
Adding Decorations: Add M&Ms and sprinkles right away when the cookies come out of the oven.
⭐️ Recipe FAQs About
Corn starch helps produce soft and thick cookies. It supports the overall cookie structure and adds a softness to the final cookie that you won't find if you don't use the corn starch.
Melted butter helps to create a cookie that has a chewy middle and crispy edges. It also helps to achieve that overall smooth and gooey texture that we are all looking for in our chocolate chip cookies.
Love this recipe? We'd love to hear about it! Leave us a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating at the top of the recipe card! We read, respond to and appreciate all of your comments so don't forget to leave a comment below. We love hearing feedback from our readers!
Chocolate Chip Heart Shaped Cookies
- ¾ cups butter slightly melted so that some lumps remain
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 ¼ cups (295 grams ) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips plus a few extra for sprinkling on the cookie dough
- sprinkles and m&ms for decorating the finished cookies
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cornstarch in a small mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, melt the butter. This should take about 1 minute in the microwave .Some lumps should remain but it should be mostly liquid.
- Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar to the melted butter.. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Whisk well.
- Fold in the dry ingredients. Mix until the batter just comes together.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of cookie dough into each mold. Sprinkle a few additional chocolate chips onto the top of each scoop of cookie dough.
- Bake cookies at 350° for 12-13 minutes - you want the edges to be nice and golden brown.
- Move cookies to a cooling rack - add m&ms and sprinkles to the top of the baked cookies right away.
- Allow cookies to cool completely in the heart shaped molds - if you try to remove them too soon, they will break apart and no one wants a broken heart. ❤️