You have got to try these cookies! Because of the serious chocolate factor in this cookie, you may ask yourself…am I eating a brownie or a cookie? With it’s perfectly crisp edges, and chewy center packed with semi sweet chips, you will soon realize that it is most definitely a cookie! This cookie combines two of my most favorite flavors, orange and dark chocolate. There is just enough orange flavor in here to remind you of an Orange Milano or your favorite piece of orange flavored dark chocolate.
I can’t seem to get myself away from making recipes that involve a ton of citrus juice and zest, and this recipe is no different. The orange flavor here comes from fresh squeezed orange juice, orange zest, and orange extract. The dough comes together quickly and no chilling is required. You can mix up the dough and bake these cookies right away. This has quickly become the most requested cookie in our house!
Making the Dough for Dark Chocolate Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies:
I am a huge fan of cookie doughs that don’t require me to pull out a mixer. This dough can easily be mixed up by hand. You can pretty much get away with one bowl if you use your kitchen scale and add the dry ingredients directly to your butter and sugar mixture. First, you will combine the butter, sugars, eggs, extracts, orange zest and orange juice. Next, you’ll add your dry ingredients, and finally the chocolate chips. If you prefer to use a mixer, go for it!
Dark Chocolate Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, slightly melted and cooled
- 1 cup (200g) light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp orange extract, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice or juice of 1/2 an orange
- 1 tbsp orange zest or zest of 1 orange
- 1 1/2 cups (200g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (65g) natural cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large mixing bowl (or in the bowl of your stand mixer), cream together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the two eggs and vanilla, orange extract, orange juice, and orange zest. Stir to combine, scraping the edges of the bowl as needed
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix (on low speed) until just combined. I like to add the dry ingredients in 2 parts. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop about 1.5 tbsps (#40 scoop) dough onto a lined half sheet pan. Leave about 2 inches of space between cookies.
- Bake cookies at 375° for exactly 10 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to sit on the baking pans for 5-7 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
I hope you have a chance to try out my newest cookie recipe. I’d love to know what you think! Please feel free to leave feedback either here on the blog or on Instagram.
Happy baking! ♥️
ITEMS THAT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
This post contains affiliate links to products that I use for baking and cooking. If you click on these links, and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers, not by you. I only link to products that I use, love, and think you may love as well. Any money earned will be used to keep Maple and Thyme running (I go through a lot of chocolate chips:), and I thank you for your support.