So I've had this Apple Butter Bread recipe ready to go for a while, but the pictures were unbelievably challenging to take. It's truly a gift - being able to make a brown loaf of bread look beautiful. Everyone else on Instagram seems to be able to do it so much better than me. I ended up having to make this bread on four separate occasions just to get some decent pictures. The bread was perfect on tries 2, 3, and 4...but those damn pictures...I burned through all of my Slow Cooker Maple Apple Butter and gained at least 5 pounds eating all of the apple butter bread. But I promise you this...the recipe is perfect.
This Apple Butter Bread is full of apple flavor, has a perfect texture, and has a crispy cinnamon sugar top. It can be made as a large loaf, two smaller loaves, or muffins. This bread will make a wonderful Thanksgiving morning breakfast or the perfect snack for your lunch box. Kids love it! If you're making it for Thanksgiving, you can definitely bake the bread ahead of time and freeze it. Then just pull it from the freezer the night before Thanksgiving and warm it up in the the morning.
Making the Apple Butter Bread:
For this bread, you will start by combining your flour, sugars, baking soda and spices in a large mixing bowl. You'll then combine your apple butter, eggs, reduced cider and canola oil in a smaller mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. Next you will fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Finally you will grate the fresh apple into the batter and transfer to a prepared pan for baking.
Baking the Apple Butter Bread:
Bake the Apple Butter Bread at 350°. You can honestly bake this bread in any pan that you choose. It makes a great large loaf, mini loaves or muffins. If you decide to go mini muffins and want an extra special fall treat, check out this adorable cakelette pan from NordicWare.
- 1 large loaf bake for 45 - 50 minutes
- 2 smaller loaves (2 cup pans) bake for 35 - 40 minutes
- standard muffins bake for 20 minutes
- mini muffins bake for 12 minutes
I hope that you love this new Maple and Thyme recipe. Apple Butter Bread is a unique twist on your classic pumpkin bread for fall and a great excuse for making homemade apple butter. If you're not up for making your own apple butter, any one that you find at the grocery store will be perfect in this recipe.
Related Apple Recipes
Apple Butter Bread
For the Bread
- ⅔ cup apple cider, boiled and reduced to ⅓ cup and cooled
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup apple butter can be homemade or store bought
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ large apple, grated
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat over to 350°. Spray your baking pan (s) with cooking spray.
- In a small sauce pan, boil apple cider, over medium high heat until reduced by ½ and is equal to about ⅓ of a cup. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Whisk gently to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cooled apple cider, apple butter, eggs and canola oil. Whisk until well combined. Fold liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Peel and grate apple directly into the batter. Gently fold to combine.
- Mix the cinnamon sugar topping in a small bowl.
- Pour batter into a prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar topping. Bake at for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
KITCHEN TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS THAT CAN BE USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
This post contains affiliate links to products that I use for baking and cooking. If you click on these links, and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers, not by you. I only link to products that I use, love, and think you may love as well.