Do you love a classic chocolate chip cookie? Do you also love the combination of toasted marshmallows, graham crackers, and milk chocolate? If you said yes, then this recipe is definitely for you. This is a classic chocolate chip cookie that is totally over the top and delectable once you add the S’mores toppings. This recipe for Chocolate Chip S’mores Cookies is super easy to make and covered in toasted marshmallows. Need I say more?
Making the Chocolate Chip Cookies
For this recipe, you are going to make a batch of Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies. This recipe requires chilling the cookie dough for at least two hours. If you are looking for a faster time start to finish, you’ll want to scoop the dough, and move it to the freezer for cooling. Once the dough is nice and chilly, you will bake the cookies and allow them to cool.
Turning the Cookies into Chocolate Chip S’mores Cookies
This is the fun part! You’ll arrange the cooled cookies on a sheet pan with just a little bit of space between each cookie. You’ll add a few rectangles of graham cracker, some milk chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows to the top of the cookie. It’s a little bit of a balancing act but I know you can do it. Finally, you will carefully move the cookies to your oven and broil the cookies, watching super carefully, until the marshmallows are golden brown.
This definitely adds a fanciness to a traditional chocolate chip cookie and will make those toasted marshmallow lovers that you have around incredibly happy. Enjoy!
A Quick Note on Freezing Cookie Dough
I always have a bag of this cookie dough in my freezer and I recommend that you do the same. This makes it super easy to bake up a batch of Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies, or to make a batch of Chocolate Chip S’mores Cookies. You never know when you are going to end up with company and need a fresh batch of cookies. I make a batch of dough, scoop it on to sheet pans, and freeze. Once the dough is frozen, I transfer it to a labeled ziplock bag and store it in the freezer. Below is a batch of Maple and Thyme Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies ready to be frozen.
S'mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, slightly melted slightly melted and then cooled I melt for 30 seconds in microwave, some lumps will remain
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract at room temperature
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 (290g) cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
For the S'mores
- 8-9 graham crackers broken into smaller rectangles
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl (or in the bowl of your stand mixer), cream together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the two eggs and vanilla. Stir to combine, scraping the edges of the bowl as needed.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix (on low speed) until just combined. I like to add the dry ingredients in 2 parts. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the finished dough in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. I also sometimes scoop and freeze the dough for 1 hour if I am in a hurry to have cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line two half sheet pans with parchment paper. Scoop the dough (or place frozen scoops) onto the prepared pans, about 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned but the centers are still soft. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to sit on the baking pans for 5-7 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
To Make the S'mores Topping
- Once the cookies have cooled arrange cookies on a half sheet pan.
- Layer the broken graham cracker pieces, milk chocolate chips, and marshmallows on top of each cookie. I like to work in that order...graham crackers, chocolate chips, and finally the marshmallows.
- Turn your oven to broil.
- Place the tray of cookies into the oven and broil until the marshmallows are golden brown and the chocolate chips are slightly melted.
- Allow to cool before serving. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
ITEMS THAT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
This post contains affiliate links to products that I use for baking and cooking. If you click on these links, and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission. The commission is paid by the retailers, not by you. I only link to products that I use, love, and think you may love as well. Any money earned will be used to keep Maple and Thyme running (I go through a lot of chocolate chips:), and I thank you for your support.