A classic chocolate chip cookie - chewy in the middle, perfectly crisp edges and topped off with toasted marshmallows, graham crackers, and milk chocolate. This is the perfect one bowl cookie recipe to make for your next afternoon playdate or outdoor BBQ. Easy and delicious!!!
For this recipe, you are going to make a batch of Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies. This recipe requires chilling the cookie dough for at least two hours. If you are looking for a faster time start to finish, you'll want to scoop the dough, and move it to the freezer for cooling. Once the dough is nice and chilly, you will bake the cookies and allow them to cool.
HOW TO MAKE THE COOKIE DOUGH
BUTTER AND SUGAR:
You’ll get started by placing the butter into your favorite glass mixing bowl and melt for 30-45 seconds in the microwave. You want the butter to be mostly melted with just a few lumps remaining. If you happened to over melt the butter, don’t worry. Allow it to cool for 5-7 minutes before moving on to the next step. Next, you’ll add the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix by hand until well combined. Next, add in room temperature eggs and vanilla, mix until well combined.
I literally add the flour, baking soda and salt right to the butter and egg combination and mix well. I’ve had not issues with this and there are less dishes to wash which is a win in my book 🙂 Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until well combined. Gently fold in your chocolate chips.
TIME TO CHILL THAT DOUGH
This dough needs to chill for at least 1 hour but I recommend 2-3 hours of chill time before scooping with your favorite cookie scoop. I like to scoop the dough all at once, arrange on a quarter sheet pan and move the dough to the freezer. You can then bake dough directly from the freezer, or once the dough is frozen solid, you can transfer it to a storage container marked with the name of recipe, date and baking temperature and time for use at a later date. I love having a supply of cookie dough ready to bake in my freezer at all times.
BAKING THE COOKIES:
Bake the cookies at 375° for 9-11 minutes, until the edges are just golden brown and the middles are still slightly soft. I start watching cookies carefully at 9 minutes and check every 30 seconds until I am happy with the color on the edges and across the middles.
Turning the Cookies into Chocolate Chip S'mores Cookies
This is the fun part! You'll arrange the cooled cookies on a sheet pan with just a little bit of space between each cookie. You'll add a few rectangles of graham cracker, some milk chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows to the top of the cookie. It's a little bit of a balancing act but I know you can do it. Finally, you will carefully move the cookies to your oven and broil the cookies, watching super carefully, until the marshmallows are golden brown.
This definitely adds a fanciness to a traditional chocolate chip cookie and will make those toasted marshmallow lovers that you have around incredibly happy. Enjoy!
A Quick Note on Freezing Cookie Dough
I always have cookie dough in my freezer and I recommend that you do the same. This makes it super easy to bake up a batch of Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies, or to make a batch of Chocolate Chip S'mores Cookies. You never know when you are going to end up with company and need a fresh batch of cookies. I make a batch of dough, scoop it on to sheet pans, and freeze. Once the dough is frozen, I transfer it to a labeled ziplock bag and store it in the freezer.
Other Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes You'll Love
- Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Toasted Hazelnut Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies
- The Best Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Macadamia Nut Chocolate Chip Cookies
S'mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, slightly melted slightly melted and then cooled I melt for 30 seconds in microwave, some lumps will remain
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ (290g) cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips
For the S'mores
- 8-9 graham crackers broken into smaller rectangles
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl (or in the bowl of your stand mixer), cream together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the two eggs and vanilla. Stir to combine, scraping the edges of the bowl as needed.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix (on low speed) until just combined. I like to add the dry ingredients in 2 parts. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the finished dough in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. I also sometimes scoop and freeze the dough for 1 hour if I am in a hurry to have cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line two half sheet pans with parchment paper. Scoop the dough (or place frozen scoops) onto the prepared pans, about 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned but the centers are still soft. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to sit on the baking pans for 5-7 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
To Make the S'mores Topping
- Once the cookies have cooled arrange cookies on a half sheet pan.
- Layer the broken graham cracker pieces, milk chocolate chips, and marshmallows on top of each cookie. I like to work in that order...graham crackers, chocolate chips, and finally the marshmallows.
- Turn your oven to broil.
- Place the tray of cookies into the oven and broil until the marshmallows are golden brown and the chocolate chips are slightly melted.
- Allow to cool before serving. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
This recipe was originally published on March 28, 2018 and updated on August 21, 2020.