Looking for a chocolate chip cookie recipe that is a fun twist on the classic? Want a recipe that is unique, quick to make, loaded with fresh citrus flavors and filled with three types of chocolate? Then these soft, perfect chocolate chip cookies are for you!
You’re going to be the most popular house in the neighborhood with this recipe for The Best Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies. This easy chocolate chip cookie recipe is made in one bowl and produces perfectly doughy middles and crisp, buttery, orange scented edges.
In this post, I’ll walk you through making and chilling the cookie dough and how to bake the cookies. We will also talk a bit about storing cookie dough in the freezer! So bust out your favorite set of mixing bowls and your cookie scoop and let’s get baking!
The Best Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies
What You’ll Love About This Recipe:
- Easy to make – two bowls and melted butter – these two things always make me happy 🙂
- Perfectly chewy with the most buttery, crispy, orange scented edges
- This dough freezes well – perfect to make ahead, scoop, freeze and then bake as you need cookies
- Bright orange zest running through each cookie – it’s so pretty
- Reminiscent of an Orange Milano or your favorite orange flavored dark chocolate
- This recipe is a fun spin on a classic cookie flavor – not sure about you but I don’t see many orange chocolate chip cookies around
How to Make Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Melting the Butter and Mixing the Wet Ingredients:
You’ll place the butter into your favorite glass mixing bowl and melt for 30-45 seconds in the microwave. You want the butter to be mostly melted with just a few lumps remaining. If you happened to over melt the butter, don’t worry. Allow it to cool for 5-7 minutes before moving on to the next step. Next, you’ll add the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix by hand until well combined. Next, add in room temperature eggs, vanilla and orange extract and mix until well combined.
In a medium glass mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and orange zest. Mix until well combined.
Put It All Together and Add the Chocolate:
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until well combined. Gently fold in your chocolate chips. I like to use a combination of 1/3 milk chocolate, 1/3 semisweet chocolate and 1/3 dark chocolate. This is personal preference here. Have fun with this and add your favorite chocolate!
How to Chill the Cookie Dough:
Don’t forget to chill the dough!!!
I am finding more and more that I appreciate both the flavor and the texture of my cookies once the dough has frozen. Baking the cookies straight from the freezer encourages the cookies to keep their shape. The flavors seem to deepen in the freezer as well. I hope that doesn’t sound like I have been eating too many cookies.
After you mix the dough, use your cookie scoop to make balls of cookie dough. Arrange the dough on a quarter sheet pan and transfer to the freezer for at least one hour. After an hour, move on to baking your cookies or transfer the cookie dough to a freezer bag for future baking. If saving for future use, use a sharpie to label the bag with the recipe name, date, baking temperature and time.
Baking Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Preheat your oven to 375°. Arrange the balls of frozen cookie dough at least 2 inches apart on a parchment or silicone baking mat lined half sheet pan. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are just golden brown and the middles look just a little underdone. Remove cookies from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet before moving to a cooling rack or your belly.
I hope that you love this recipes for The Best Orange Chocolate Chip cookies!
Other delicious cookie recipes
- Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Sugar Cookies with Buttercream Icing
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Chocolate Chip S’mores Cookies
- Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies
Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies
- microwave safe mixing bowls
- citrus zester
- half sheet pan (2)
- parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, slightly melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla, at room temperature
- 1 tsp orange extract, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cup (290g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp orange zest roughly 2 oranges zested
- 2 cups chocolate chips your pick on the variety, I used 1/3 each dark, semisweet, and milk
- Place butter into your favorite glass mixing bowl and melt for 30-45 seconds in the microwave. You want the butter to be mostly melted with just a few lumps remaining.
- Next, you'll add the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix by hand until well combined. Next, add in room temperature eggs, vanilla and orange extract and mix until well combined.
- Add the two eggs, vanilla and orange extract. Mix well to combine.
- In a medium glass mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and orange zest. Mix gently to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter and eggs. Mix until well combined. Gently fold in your chocolate chips.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to sit on the baking pans for 5-7 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Love cookies as much as I do? Be sure to check out some of our other cookie recipes here…