Do you love the idea of crunchy macadamia nuts, banana chips, and tons of chocolate for breakfast? If you do, look no further. This granola recipe has it all! Filled with maple sweetened oats, hints of vanilla, macadamia nuts, banana chips, mini chocolate chips and dried pineapple, this granola is the perfect combination of sweet and crunchy. Nate's Chunky Monkey Granola is the perfect breakfast or snack when served with a bowl of greek yogurt and some fresh berries.
Creating the Recipe:
This is one of those recipes that gets created by accident. We were having breakfast one morning and trying to convince our son Nate to try a new batch of homemade granola. He basically picked out the parts that he likes, the banana chips, oats, macadamia nuts, and dried pineapple. He made a little bowl of it and said "if you add chocolate chips, it will be perfect!" And here you have it folks... Nate's Chunky Monkey Granola. I'm giving him full credit for the creation of this one. He was a creative mastermind while I was in a creative rut.
This recipe has macadamia nuts in it because we are all obsessed with them right now. Please know that you could easily swap the macadamias for almonds, walnuts, or even pecans if you aren't feeling the macadamias. We used mini chocolate chips for this recipe because we all felt like they would just be better when you were eating the granola with a bowl of greek yogurt and fresh banana slices or berries. The granola is also amazing eaten by the handful as a snack. But beware...it's absolutely addictive.
Nate's Chunky Monkey Granola is a cinch to make and is so much yummier than anything that you would ever find in a grocery store. Give it a try, I know you can do it!
Happy granola making,
Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate’s Healthy Granola Recipe
Other delicious granola recipes
- Ginger Cranberry Granola
- Maple Pecan Granola
- Pineapple Macadamia Nut Granola
- Maple and Thyme Granola Shop Is Open
Nate's Chunky Monkey Granola
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- ¾ cup banana chips, broken into smaller pieces
- ½ cup dried pineapple, chopped into bite sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, macadamia nuts, and salt. Add coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla and stir until well combined.
- Spread combined granola onto prepared sheet pan. Bake for 23-24 minutes, mixing half way through baking time.
- Leave the granola to cool completely. Move the cooled granola to a large mixing bowl and mix in the dried fruits and chocolate chips. I like to pick up the parchment paper or silicone mat and pour the granola into the mixing bowl from the parchment paper.
- Store granola in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks. It won't last that long.