My friend Anne had a mishap with Instacart the other day that totally worked out to my benefit. She ordered one jalapeño, but when her order arrived, she actually received a whole pound of jalapeños. She promptly sent a text to me and another mom asking if we had any use for the extra peppers. Initially I didn't - but then I started working on a round-up of recipes for Cinco de Mayo, and I realized that I didn't have a margarita recipe on my blog. So I texted Anne back, snagged some of her hot peppers, busted out my Breville Juicer, and got to work creating this cocktail for you.
Fresh pineapple, orange and lime juices are combined with spicy jalapeños and your favorite tequila to make this spicy pineapple margarita. This may quickly become your favorite summer margarita recipe. It's sweet and tangy. This naturally sweetened cocktail has just the right amount of heat and a gorgeous, spicy Tajîn rim. This drink will certainly spice up your Cinco de Mayo celebrations and is also an all around delicious margarita. If you're not into "spicy", simply leave out the jalapeño. This recipe makes two drinks so multiply as necessary.
In this post I'll walk you through different ways of juicing fresh fruits and how to mix up and garnish your margaritas.
How to Juice Fresh Fruit and Citrus:
For this recipe, you will need 4 ounces fresh pineapple and 4 ounces of fresh citrus juice. I find it easiest to juice in my Breville Juicer which you can find here. I also know that not everyone has a juicer, so I'll review some others ways to juice fresh fruits.
Remove the top and bottom of the pineapple. Cut away the skin all around the pineapple. Next, cut the pineapple into quarters the long way. Use your knife to remove the tough center and you're ready to juice. Depending on how many margaritas you are making, you won't need to juice the entire pineapple. Add one or two of the long segments to your juicer and juice away If you don't have a juicer, you can use your blender. Toss the pineapple segments into your blender. If going the blender route, you'll want to add about ¼ cup of water for each segment of the pineapple. You'll blend this until nice and smooth and then run the juice through a mesh strainer to separate the pulp.
Next, you'll need to juice 1 orange and 1 lime for the two margaritas. If you're using a juicer, you'll need to remove the skin from your fruit before running it through the juicer. You can also juice the citrus by hand (just squeeze it) and run the juice through a mesh strainer. I also love this handy glass citrus juicer and use all the time, especially when I don't want to bust out the big juicer.
Preparing the Glasses:
Add about a tablespoon of Tajîn to a small plate. Use a wedge of lime and run it around the edge of each of your glasses. Roll the edges of the glass in the Tajîn to create a spicy and beautiful rim on each glass. Add one large ice cube and a slice of lime to each glass. If you're not going the spicy route, you can create a seal salt rim or go with no flavor on the rim...
How to Mix Up the Margarita :
In a cocktail shaker or mason jar, combine 3 ounces tequila, 2 teaspoons honey and 2-3 slices of jalapeño. Use a muddler to mash the jalapeño slices together with the tequila and honey. Add 4 ounces fresh pineapple juice, 3 ounces orange juice and 1 ounce lime juice to the tequila mixture. Shake well to combine. Strain and pour into your prepared glasses, garnish with a slice of jalapeño and enjoy.
Other delicious cocktail recipes
- Blood Orange Bourbon Smash
- Summer Peach Tea Cocktail
- Slow Cooker Warm Apple Cider
- Sparkling Ruby Red Grapefruit Cocktail
Best Spicy Pineapple Citrus Margarita
- juicer or blender
- cutting board
- cocktail shaker or mason jar
- cocktail muddler or large spoon
- kitchen knife
For the Cocktail
- 3 ounces tequila
- 2-3 slices jalapeño
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 ounces pineapple juice freshly squeezed if possible
- 3 ounces orange juice freshly squeezed if possible
- 1 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed (about 1 whole lime)
- 1 tablespoon Tajîn Clasico Seasoning could also combine ½ tablespoon sea salt with ½ tablespoon chili power
- lime rounds or wedges
- slices of jalapeño
Prepare the Glasses
- Add about a tablespoon of Tajîn to a small plate. Use a wedge of lime and run it around the edge of each of your two cocktail glasses. Roll the edges of the glass to create a spicy and beautiful rim on each glass. Add one large ice cube and a slice of lime to each glass.
Make the Margaritas
- In a cocktail shaker or mason jar, combine the tequila, honey and 2-3 slices of jalapeño. Use a muddler to mash the 2-3 jalapeño slices together with 3 ounces of tequila and 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Add 4 ounces fresh pineapple juice, 3 ounces orange juice and 1 ounce lime juice to the tequila mixture. Shake well to combine.
- Strain and pour into your prepared glasses, garnish with a slice of jalapeño and enjoy.
I hope that you love this margarita recipe. Love Mexican food and drinks? Be sure to check out my post on planning for your Cinco de Mayo fiesta too!